Monday, August 21, 2006

A "Bug" Day

So Andy has this analogy that in life sometimes you have days when you're the bug and some days you're the windshield. We had a discussion recently on this topic, it's always been my belief that your day is what you make of it, Andy on the otherhand, says that no mater what your attitude sometimes you're just going to have a bad day once in a while. Regardless of whether I chose it or not, I had a "bug" day last monday. It started out well, I got up in time to get a shower in before Noah's doctor's appointment and we made it to the doctor's office just a minute late, so by new mom standards that's on time. I was feeling super UNTIL Fisher fell asleep on the way home from Noah's doctor's appointment. If he gets 10 minutes or more of sleep in the car, it usually means that he won't go back down when we get home, such was the case. He and I butted heads for a while about whether he was going to go back to sleep and you know who won in the end- not mommy. The rest of the day went similarly. It seemed like all day the boys both needed me at the same time. I did my best to meet each of thier needs, but I went to bed feeling like I hadn't had quality time with either one of them. I knew that each of them was fed when they were hungry, held when they needed my attention, I'd managed to change at least, I don't know probably 10 diapers, give 2 baths and read 5 or more books to them that day. But still, I was really down on myself about feeling as though I'd failed to really connect with each of them. Then it hit me, I'd given my best, they DID get through the day healthy and happy with all of their needs met. And if I stop and I think about I'm sure I told them both that I love them and I must have kissed them each 10 times, because lets face it, I can't help myself. So, tonight instead of dwelling on the moments I spent having a power struggle with a toddler who was testing the limits, I will chose to fall asleep recalling the moments spent on the receiving end of the sweetest bear hug and warmest newborn gaze and figuring out how to make more of those moments tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 10:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sara, Judging from Andy's "analogy", I'd say he's had too much "windshield time"! :>)
You've got the right idea to dwell on the things that went right and the needs that were met. We moms are too good at the "woulda/coulda/shoulda" game, especially after your kids are grown and gone from home, which happens in the blink of an eye.
You and Andy are doing a great job, so cut yourself some slack when you have a "bug" day.
I look forward to each new blog entry. What a treasure that is and will be, as a journal of things happening in your life as your boys grow up. You go girl. Love you lots, Mom Bo

 
At 2:17 PM , Blogger Amanda said...

this is way too late but i think you are amazing...as a bug or the windshield! =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home