Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Prayers of a Mommy

Before having Fisher I had no idea how much parenthood would change my life. I always knew I wanted to be a Mommy, but I wasn't aware just how much my heart would enjoy hearing "Mama" while looking into those dark brown eyes and reaching down toward those pudgy little outstretched arms. I praise God for the opportunity I have to spend 100% of my time raising Fisher and loving my husband. I've read a lot of books on parenting and although there are many with a lot of good information, I find that the information is only useful if it checks out with the Holy Spirit and in my own heart. With that said, I found that my heart was not okay with allowing Fisher to cry it out in order to learn to fall asleep on his own nor did I want to wean him from breastfeeding on my schedule. At 16 months, Andy and I spent just one night going in to Fisher's room each time he woke up and told him it was still time for "Night, Night," and that we loved him and went back in to our room. It was evident after a few times of doing this that he clearly understood what we were telling him because when we said, "Night, Night," he began laying himself back down and reaching for is teddy bear to go back to sleep. The following night he only woke up once and upon Daddy going in to tell him "Night, night," he went right back to sleep and we didn't hear from him until the following morning. The third night, he slept straight through. What an answer to prayer, I kept thinking that I wanted to parent like Christ would and the thought that kept coming back to me is that God shows care and compassion. My next prayer was that Fisher would wean himself enough before the new baby arrived that he wouldn't regress once the baby got here. Although I don't know for certain that he won't regress, Fisher has not nursed at all for about 3&1/2 weeks, nor has he asked to when he's seen friends nurse. I think that for a while I had been initiating nursing as a way of comforting him more often than he initiated wanting to nurse. I knew it was time to consider weaning when one night before bed I tried nursing him and he jumped off my lap and went to the refrigerator and asked for "milk." Again, God answers prayers both big and small. Though, part of me mourns the passing of Fisher's babyhood, I get a good laugh on a daily basis about something new he says or does in this amazing new stage we call toddlerhood. To all you Mommys out there, my advice- "Ask and you shall receive" and listen to your heart. (I'm not totally certain this works past 18 months, I'll keep you posted) :)

3 Comments:

At 11:50 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

I'll let you know when exactly we're coming. I'm pretty sure it's the last week-end (which might actually be the first week-end in July). We're shuttling my friend and her hubby from the Detroit Airport to TC and staying (hopefully) through the 4th holiday. I'm anxious to talk with you about hypnobirthing. :) Take care!

 
At 1:04 PM , Blogger Mommy of Four said...

Wow! I didn't know you have been nursing Fisher all this time! I wish I could have nursed longer, but Jadon quit cold turkey at 10 mos...and then I ws pregnant! I told Dane I'm nursing Amberly until she's five or I'm pumping until then...best birth control I ever used! I don't think Fisher will regress, but it's not unheard of. One of my nurses told me that if Jadon decided he wanted to try nusing again, because Baby was doing it, then to let him, because he probably won't ever ask to do it again after that. Just a thought!

 
At 11:16 AM , Blogger Kelley said...

Sara, I am LOVING reading your blogs. You are an awesome mom, and very wise. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas. Although Jacob and I are waiting a little longer to start our family, I will definitely be looking to you for wisdom and advice when the time comes. Can't wait to see you in July!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home