Thursday, May 25, 2006

Birthing Wisdom Class

I've shared with a few people that Andy and I are taking another birthing class to prepare for this baby, but this one is different than our first. I have high hopes for this birth experience, I'm not sure how many more times I'll go through the birth of a child and I feel a real desire to embrace this expereince. This class is meant to make us aware of our fears and desires from the birth experience and bring us face to face with them so we can better prepare ourselves with overcoming those fears. The class is based on a book called "Birthing from Within" and a concept called Hypnobirthing. By Hypnobirthing, they're referring to learning a skill to relax yourself to a point of relaxation on a cellular level. Though Fisher's birth was absolutely amazing, I felt somewhat detached from the expereince and felt like it was something that was happening to me and around me as opposed to something happening within me, this may be in part due to my lack of sleep (due to having contractions begining 32 hours before Fisher was actually born) and various medications. So this may sound awfully abstract to many of you, but I see this as an opportunity to expand my options as far as resources I'm able to use during the labor and birth process. Whatever happens this time is certainly in God's hands but He knows the desire of my my heart is to feel more present or aware for the birth of this baby and I'm praying He'll provide me the strength it takes for that to happen. I also am excited to spend the time in this class with Andy anticipating the arrival of our new little one. One of the great blessings that came with Fisher's birth (besides the obvious blessing of our amazing little person) was the closeness Andy and I felt to each other through the experience. I am so excited to have him by my side as we go from a family of three to a family of four. I can't imagine going through that process by myself like so many woman have because dads weren't allowed in the delivery room for the birth of their children.

2 Comments:

At 9:55 AM , Blogger Amanda said...

I am so excited for you guys! I would love to talk with you about your experience in hypnobirthing-I am very interested in exploring this technique for myself. Of course, Phil laughed at first, but I think he would prefer it to my other idea of a water birth. :)

On another note, I have discovered the miniscule (sp?) meternity 'dept' at Gap Outlet and have even begun wearing a couple shirts from there-some of them are great a size smaller right now for my 'pudgy' stage! Thanks for the tip!

 
At 1:48 PM , Blogger Mommy of Four said...

Hey guys! Hadfields, here! Nice blog!

Hypnobirthing is supposed to be a great way to go! When I worked at Munson, one of the nurses there in Maternity used the hypnobirthing, and apparently everything went awesome! I wish I had heard about it before I had these two kids! Good luck with it!!!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home