Monday, March 16, 2009

A Cure For Cabin Fever

So finally I've found the cure for my journaler's block, it took some fresh spring air and a healthy dose of sunshine. I've apologized in previous posts for only doing recent photos of the kids and not having the time to journal the way my heart desired and the whole purpose for which I originally started blogging! This past weekend we hiked as a family a short trail a few miles away from the house. It was a gorgeous 45-ish day and we were ready to witness all things beautiful about March in Michigan; melting snow and mud! I say that somewhat tongue in cheek, but seriously get gitty about spring! I talked to a friend in Florida who had no idea that melting snow had a smell (I know it's the dirt not the snow, but that just isn't quite as romantic now is it), poor girl to never have experienced such a scent. It was soaking in that glorious early spring day that I found inspiration about midway through the hike, Corbin in the front pack on my chest, Noah in front of me Andy in front of him, and Fisher leading the way. I started realizing how relaxed I was, enjoying the time as a family. I wasn't multi-tasking or thinking about what I needed to do next, I was simply present. That's when my mind started to take it all in. Of course it was beautiful to see the sun glisten on the streams of melting snow and hear the sound of the river hitting the rocks as it flowed past, heading to bigger waters, but as a momma the things that struck the deepest chords of my heart were the blessings of my amazing little humans. God swept away the cobwebs that had been clouding my vision daily with whining and back talking to see the amazing personalities growing within my boys.

Fisher led the hike, on a mission to find the seven bridges for which the trail was named. He counted them as we went along, he stopped momentarily to watch for wildlife or to make a snowball to watch float down the stream, and as much as he enjoyed later getting stuck in mud for what he said was "three and a half hours," he never lost sight of what he had come out to do; FIND THOSE BRIDGES. That's my oldest, a boy on a mission. From the day he came into the world he's been intense! He was very alert as a newborn, potty-trained easily, rode a bike at 3, and loves to win! Along the way he and I have butted heads in the event that his mission and my mission do not coincide, but I am excited about God's plan for that kid, He's going to use him to do great things because of his ability to persevere!

I was even more amazed by our "Little Noah," I've been noticing who he is come out more and more, but Saturday it came through crystal clear. That boy is on this earth to take it all in! It seems that wherever we go Noah is our caboose and for the longest time I thought that was for obvious reasons; he does have the shortest legs of the walkers in our family, but that's not the reason at all, it's because that boy is going to appreciate all the things the rest of us passed by. I remember watching him last summer get down on all fours to examine a worm in the garden or a bug on the sidewalk and thinking how cute he was, not totally realizing at the time I was witnessing the essence of Noah. He is the the scientist and explorer. And no matter how hard I try to get that kiddo to pick up the pace, there's no rushing him. He's going to investigate this planet we live on and he's going to do it in his own way on his own time table.

My hope is that I can be the momma that each of them needs and I can encourage them in ways that allows them to thrive in each of their respective gifts and interests. I know that these could just be phases that each of the boys is going through and I vow to stay tuned in well enough to understand them at any given moment and not put them in a mold. But for now, this momma can just take a few lessons from each of them! I hope to take lessons from Fisher on determination in completing a task started and from Noah I will more often take in the beauty of that which lies right in front of my nose. Which at the moment is a beautiful sleeping 6 month old who is growing up himself right before my eyes! Does it get any better?

3 Comments:

At 3:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, Sara! You are a gifted writer. Excuse me while I get a tissue!

I think I need one of those "cobweb clearing" walks to appreciate the scent of melting snow! And it is such fun to see those little personalities emerge, isn't it.
Love, MomBo

 
At 9:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As amazing as those boys are so are the parents that are entrusted with their care. It takes special parents to see the qualities that each of the boys has and to nurture them. I beleive each of them will do great things because they will allways know that they are loved by great parents and even more loved and gifted by a great God
Love you all dad

 
At 9:03 AM , Blogger Kasey said...

That is such a sweet post. You are a good Mother and Wife. Hiking sounds like a great idea to forget about the daily doings and to focus on the moment being together as a family. Not to mention getting some energy out!! I bet they slept good that night!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home